Flow enhances performance by improving concentration and motivation; which in turn drives engagement, fulfilment and productivity. The challenge is that for some people remote working, the impact of lockdowns or simply poor managers can mean constant interruptions. Several steps will help your employees reach their flow:
- Take small steps to remove any obstacles to productivity.
- Let people switch off email and hold fewer meetings.
- Understand when a conversation would help – and when it wouldn’t.
- Encourage, celebrate and reward progress.
- Find out what the person needs, and provide resources.
- Recognise what each individual enjoys and play to their strengths.
- Provide a big picture perspective reinforcing why their work matters.
- Support and challenge the individual to find out what works best for them.
Managers exert a huge impact on employees’ concentration and engagement, and typically focus on outcomes. By recognising the value of flow outcomes are more easily achieved and the benefits of engagement and discretionary potential are realised.
What helps your productivity and flow?